Walter D. Giertsen founded the Giertsen Company in 1918. It started with restoration work that was focused around storefront glass replacement in downtown Minneapolis. As word spread of the good work and the need grew, this expanded into wind and water damage repair in many buildings around the downtown area.
During the Great Depression, Giertsen Company continued with commercial repair and expanded into the residential markets to meet the growing demand.
After World War II, the nation was growing rapidly. Schools and office buildings were cropping up more and more. Giertsen Company expanded to service these commercial properties. Home construction and ownership was also on the rise leading to significant growth into the suburbs. As a result, Giertsen Company began working with homeowners throughout the Twin Cities metro.